Friday, July 26, 2013

A Desire for Excellence

 ...or how to not pull my hair out



How do you instill a desire to do better in your children? I just spent the last 20 minutes looking over my kids' shoulder while they did their Xtramath because if I leave the room, or even sit down where I can't see the screen, the don't do it correctly. Xtramath is basically timed math drills on the computer. It tracks their progress, the kids enjoy computer work, and, best of all, it's free! If you don't get the answer within ten seconds, it gives it to you-and therein lies the problem. Much to my dismay I have discovered that when they don't have the answer right off they wait for it to be given to them instead of counting up as I know they know how to do.

So, back to my question: how to instill a drive to excel?  Both Stuart and The Scientist are perfectionists to a degree and it really upsets them when they do poorly-really really upsets them.  I have tried use this to my advantage and turn it into a healthy desire for excellence (note healthy).  Instead they get angry and spew answers that they know are incorrect all the while complaining loudly.  I have done my best to be their cheerleader (which is hard for me having not been raised that way.  God's grace is so good!).  Cheering made them feel better after it was all said and done but didn't stop the complaining.  Sooo I became drill sergeant mommy and told them I would take their afternoon screen time away if I heard any, well, bitching and moaning.  That stopped that but we still had the issue of waiting for the computer to give them the answer.

Thus watching over their shoulder.  It worked, their scores were better and they stayed on task but my flesh found it extremely irritating!  Perhaps self-motivation will come with age- I sure hope so!  Until then I suppose I will be praying for an extra dose of grace to show to my kids and maybe an extra cup of coffee after it is all said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment